The history of ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø embraces our spirit of community, innovation, and "knowledge by heart, mind and hand."
Our history tells the story of a University forged by a commitment to discovery, creativity and challenging the status quo. WeÌýchronicle milestones from ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍøâ€™s earliest foundations in 1949, and celebrate trailblazers such as our in 1950, our Ìýin 1952,Ìýand in 1976 â€” to name just a few.
Our University has since been shaped by the addition of new schools, centres and institutes, by changes to the physical campus and strategic planning processes. Today ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø is building a legacy of transformative and positive impact.
The University was incorporated by an Act of the Parliament of New South Wales in Sydney in 1949, but its character and idea can be traced back to the formation of the Sydney Mechanics Institute in 1843, leading to the formation of the Sydney Technical College in 1878.Ìý
From the first graduation ceremony in 1952 and the first female graduate, to international and regional students, ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø continues toÌýexpandÌýits reach.
In 1958, the universityâ€™s name was changed to the University of New South Wales, and in 1960 it broadened its scholarly, student base and character with the establishment of the Arts and Medical faculties and the opening of in 1961.Ìý
In 1971, ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø Law opened, the inaugural Alumni Awards took place in 1972 and Professor Chris Fell and ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø researchers developed aÌýmembraneÌýfilter to treatÌýwastewaterÌýin 1977.
Key buildings were completed including the Swimming Pool and the Australian Graduate School of Management (AGSM). HIV/AIDS research at ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø led to the establishment of the , which still leads the way in ground-breaking health discoveries.Ìý
The 1990s saw the advancement of solar research, the addition of Fine Arts and further development of public and community outreach programs which characterised the university from its beginnings.Ìý
The 2000s heralded expansion and growth. In 2004 the Nura Gili Programs Unit was established for Indigenous students. ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø Asia was announced in 2004 and in 2005 the Graduate Research School was opened to name just a few momentous events.
In 2007, Professor Megan Davis (First Pro-Vice Chancellor-Indigenous) is appointed Director of the ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø Indigenous Centre.Ìý A new environment policy was approved in 2012 and in 2016, Professor Helen Lochhead becomes the first female Dean of ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍøâ€™s Built Environment faculty.Ìý
We are one of the leading research and teaching-intensive universities in the world, known for innovative, pioneering research and high-quality education with a global impact. Our 2025 Strategy provides the framework for ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø to advance our contribution to serve our society now and into the future.
ÁñÁ«¹ÙÍø Archives is our collective memory, providing evidence of our past, key actions and decisions and a lens through which we view our cultural heritage.Ìý
More information and resources, including a number of online exhibitions featuring , , and university leaders can be found at .